Family Detective, LLC
Kathleen W. Hinckley
PO Box 525
Wheat Ridge, CO 80034-0525
Contact the Family Detective using
this form for a no-obligation estimate.
Kathleen W. Hinckley has been trained in the ABA Rules of Professional Conduct. Having testified as an Expert Witness in the field of genealogy, Kathleen is well aware of these Rules and makes sure that the attorney client is also protected. Attorneys working with Kathleen will have the peace of mind knowing she follows the guidelines.
And as a Certified Genealogist® and member of the Association of Professional Genealogists, the Family Detective also endorses and operates under the highest genealogical ethical standards as outlined below:
- I will keep confidential any personal
or genealogical information given to me,
unless I receive written consent to the
- I will reveal to the consumer any personal
or financial interests that might compromise
my professional obligations.
- I will undertake paid research commissions
only after a clear agreement as to scope
- I will, to the best of my abilities, address
my research to the issue raised by the consumer
and report to that question.
- I will seek from the consumer all prior
information and documentation related to
the research and will not knowingly repeat
the work, as billable hours, without explanation
as to good cause.
- I will furnish only facts I can substantiate
with adequate documentation; and I will
not withhold any data necessary for the
- If the research question involves analysis
of data in order to establish a genealogical
relationship or identity, I will report
that the conclusions are based on the weight
of the available evidence and that absolute
proof of genealogical relationships is usually
- If I cannot resolve a research problem
within the limitations of time or budget
established by contract, I will explain
the reasons why.
- If other feasible avenues are available,
I will suggest them; but I will not misrepresent
the possibilities of additional research.
- I will return any advance payment that
exceeds the hours and expenses incurred.
- I will not publish or circulate research
or reports to which the consumer has a proprietary
right, without prior written consent of
the consumer; I will observe these rights,
whether my report was made directly to the
consumer or to an employer or agent.
- Promote a coherent, truthful approach to genealogy, family
history and local history.
- Present research results and opinions in a clear, well-organized
manner; fully and accurately cite references; and refrain
from withholding, suppressing, or knowingly misquoting or
misinterpreting sources or data.
- Promote the trust and security of genealogical consumers.
- Advertise services and credentials honestly, avoiding
the use of misleading or exaggerated representations; explain
without concealment or misrepresentation all fees, charges,
and payment structures; abide by agreements regarding project
scope, number of hours, and deadlines and reporting schedules;
keep adequate, accessible records of financial and project-specific
contacts with the consumer; and refrain from knowingly violating
or encouraging others to violate laws and regulations concerning
copyright, right to privacy, business finances, or other
- Support initiatives that preserve public records and access
- Be courteous to research facility personnel and treat
records with care and respect; support efforts to locate,
collect, and preserve the records by compiling, cataloging,
reproducing, and indexing documents; refrain from mutilating,
rearranging, or removing from their proper custodians printed,
original, microfilmed, or electronic records.
- Promote the welfare of the genealogical community.
- Give proper credit to those who supply information and
provide assistance; refrain from (or avoid) knowingly soliciting
established clients of another researcher; encourage applicable
education, accreditation, and certification; and refrain
from public behavior, oral remarks or written communications
that defame the profession, individual genealogists, or
the Association of Professional Genealogists.